WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
The Holy Spirit is God.
• God is all powerful. Romans 15:19 and Luke 1:35
• God is eternal. Hebrews 9:14
• God is all knowing. 1 Corinthians 2:10 The Holy Spirit is not a force, or energy.
• The Holy Spirit has a will. 1 Corinthians 12:11
• The Holy Spirit has emotions. Ephesians 4:30.
• The Holy Spirit has intelligence. 1 Corinthians 2:13
WHAT DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DO?
In the life of the unbeliever. John 16:8-11 states that the Holy Spirit convicts “the world concerning >> 1 <<.”
At the moment we receive Christ:
- The Holy Spirit incorporates us into the body of Christ, which is the Church. 1 Corinthians 12:13 says, “For in one Spirit we were all >> 2 <<.” The word baptize means to immerse. The Spirit immersed us into God’s Church when we received Jesus.
- He came to live in us when we receive Jesus. 1 Corinthians 3:16 says, “Do you not know that you are God’s >> 3 << and that God’s Spirit >> 4 << in you.”
- He marked you as a child of God. Ephesians 4:30 says, “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were >> 5 <<.” See also Romans 8:15-16.
Throughout the Christian Life:
- The Holy Spirit helps us know Jesus! John 15:26-27 says that the Holy Spirit works in the life of the believer in the following way: “But when the >> 6 << comes, […] He will bear >> 7 << about me.”
- The Spirit guides our prayers! Romans 8:26 says, “For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us”.
- The Spirit helps us become more like Jesus! 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NIV) says that we “are being >> 8 << into His image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the >> 9 <<.”
- The Spirit gives us the power and the means to serve! 1 Corinthians 12:4 says, “Now there are varieties of >> 10 <<, but the same Spirit.”
- When we submit to the Spirit, He fills our lives! Ephesians 5:18 says, “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the >> 11 <<”.
What has this lesson taught you about the Holy Spirit?
Express in prayer what you most appreciate about the Holy Spirit.
- sin and righteousness and judgement, 2. baptized into one body, 3. temple, 4. dwells, 5. sealed, 6. helper, 7. witness, 8. transformed, 9. spirit, 10. gifts, 11. Spirit