We are pleased to offer this weekly Bible study. Please complete the following lesson. Use your Bible to look up the answers you need. A free Bible is available online from Bible Hub at https://biblehub.com/esv/ The answers to this lesson are at the bottom of the post.
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
The Holy Spirit is God.
• God is all powerful. Romans 15:19 and Luke 1:35
• God is eternal. Hebrews 9:14
• God is all knowing. 1 Corinthians 2:10 The Holy Spirit is not a force, or energy.
• The Holy Spirit has a will. 1 Corinthians 12:11
• The Holy Spirit has emotions. Ephesians 4:30.
• The Holy Spirit has intelligence. 1 Corinthians 2:13
WHAT DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DO?
In the life of the unbeliever. John 16:8-11 states that the Holy Spirit convicts “the world concerning >> 1 <<.”
At the moment we receive Christ:
- The Holy Spirit incorporates us into the body of Christ, which is the Church. 1 Corinthians 12:13 says, “For in one Spirit we were all >> 2 <<.” The word baptize means to immerse. The Spirit immersed us into God’s Church when we received Jesus.
- He came to live in us when we receive Jesus. 1 Corinthians 3:16 says, “Do you not know that you are God’s >> 3 << and that God’s Spirit >> 4 << in you.”
- He marked you as a child of God. Ephesians 4:30 says, “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were >> 5 <<.” See also Romans 8:15-16.
Throughout the Christian Life:
- The Holy Spirit helps us know Jesus! John 15:26-27 says that the Holy Spirit works in the life of the believer in the following way: “But when the >> 6 << comes, […] He will bear >> 7 << about me.”
- The Spirit guides our prayers! Romans 8:26 says, “For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us”.
- The Spirit helps us become more like Jesus! 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NIV) says that we “are being >> 8 << into His image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the >> 9 <<.”
- The Spirit gives us the power and the means to serve! 1 Corinthians 12:4 says, “Now there are varieties of >> 10 <<, but the same Spirit.”
- When we submit to the Spirit, He fills our lives! Ephesians 5:18 says, “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the >> 11 <<”.
What has this lesson taught you about the Holy Spirit?
Express in prayer what you most appreciate about the Holy Spirit.
Thank you for spending time with us in Bible Study. We welcome your comments for ideas and improvements to our studies. Please feel free to comment using the “Contact Us” button below.
- sin and righteousness and judgement, 2. baptized into one body, 3. temple, 4. dwells, 5. sealed, 6. helper, 7. witness, 8. transformed, 9. spirit, 10. gifts, 11. Spirit