We are pleased to offer this weekly Bible study. Please complete the following lesson. Use your Bible to look up the answers you need. A free Bible is available online from Bible Hub at https://biblehub.com/esv/ Answers to this lesson are at the bottom of this post.
WHAT IS THE NEW LIFE?
- It is not a process of fixing the old life. See Matthew 9:16-17.
- It is not given to us by our parents. See John 1:12-13.
- It is not gained by religion, ritual, or regulation. See Philippians 3:4-8.
What the new life is:
God assures us in 1 Peter 1:4 (NIV) that as his children, we are born “into an >> 2 << that can never >> 3 <<, spoil or fade.” New life is the supernatural act of God, giving us a new nature, adopting us into His family, calling us His children, and giving us an eternal inheritance!
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a >> 4 << creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
- John 1:12 teaches us, “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the >> 5 << to become >> 6 << of God.”
- 1 John 3:14 says, “We know that we have passed out of >> 7 << into >> 8 <<.”
- In John 3:16 we observe “that whoever believes in him (Jesus) should not perish but have >> 9 << life.”
WHAT DOES THIS NEW LIFE CONSIST OF?
New security. Romans 8:39 says that neither “height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to >> 10 << us from the >> 11 << of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Peace and joy. Romans 15:13 says, “May the God of hope fill you with all >> 12 << and >> 13 << in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.”
Intimate relationship with God, of love and obedience. We read in John 14:20-21, 23-24 (NIV), “On that day you will realize that I am >> 14 << my Father, and you are >> 15 << me, and I am >> 16 << you.”
Hunger for God’s Word. 1 Peter 2:2 says, “Like newborn infants, long for the pure >> 17 << milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation.”
Trials and struggles of the faith. 2 Timothy 3:12 teaches us that “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be >> 18 <<.”
Desire for the company of other Christians. Acts 2:42 says, “And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the >> 19 <<, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.”
Desire to tell others of your faith in Christ. Again, in Acts 4:20 (NIV) it says, “For we cannot help >> 20 << about what we have >> 21 <<.”