We are pleased to offer this weekly Bible study. Please complete the following lesson. Use your Bible to look up the answers you need. A free Bible is available online from Bible Hub at https://biblehub.com/niv/ Answers to this lesson are at the bottom of this post.
What are three characteristics of a bad father?
What are three characteristics of a good father?
IN WHAT SENSE IS GOD OUR FATHER?
- God created us in our mother’s womb. Psalm 139:13-14
- God made us His children. John 1:12-13
- God adopted us as His children through Jesus Christ before the creation of the world, according to his love and will. Ephesians 1:3-5
- God placed us in His family in heaven. Ephesians 3:14-15
- God supplies all our needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
GOD, OUR FATHER IS:
Eternal and unchanging. In James 1:17 we read, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not >> 1 << like shifting shadows.” If God does not change, then He could have no beginning or end, and so He must be eternal. *See Psalm 90:2.
Holy. To be Holy means to be separated and set apart from sin. God does not sin, nor does he tolerate sin. In 1 Peter 1:16, God says, “You shall be >> 2 <<, for I am >> 3 <<.”
Just. God always acts in justice, and he always treats us justly. This gives us the security of having entrusted our lives into the hands of a just God. 1 John 1:9 states, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and >> 4 << to forgive us our sins.”
Love. God cannot stop loving us, for He is Love. 1 John 4:16: “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is >> 5 <<. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.” God’s love is also unconditional, meaning He loves us despite what we are. Romans 5:8 says, “But God shows his >> 6 << for us in that while we were still >> 7 <<, Christ died for us.” Finally, 1 John 4:19 teaches us that, “We >> 8 << because he first >> 9 << us.” This means that even our ability to love comes from God!
Lord. This term is based on the truth that God is the Absolute Owner of the Universe. He is the Ruler. Everything is under his authority. When we accept him as Lord, we are acknowledging Him to be the Lord of our lives. 1 Timothy 6:15 describes God as, “the blessed and only >> 10 <<, the King of kings and >> 11 << of lords, […] To Him be honor and might forever. Amen.”
We prove that God is Lord of our life in at least three ways:
• Matthew 4:10: We worship God alone.
• Matthew 4:10: We serve God alone.
• Romans 14:8: We live for God alone, Amen!
Express your gratitude in prayer.
Thank you for spending time with us in Bible Study. We welcome your comments for ideas and improvements to our studies. Please feel free to comment using the “Contact Us” button below.
- change, 2. holy, 3. holy, 4. just, 5. love, 6. love, 7. sinners, 8. love, 9. loved, 10. ruler, 11. Lord