True believers in Christ will be known by their conduct and attitude, for they truly have new life!
Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17. The Word of God establishes the principles that guide the way we should live, and it is necessary to obey those principles. Answers to this lesson are at the bottom of this post.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO OBEY?
Read 1 John 2:3-6.
• It is not just knowing about Christ or completing a set of rules.
• It is obeying and living the Word of God (Verse 3).
• It is the evidence that we know God and dwell in Him (Verse 4-5).
• It is walking as Jesus walked (Verse 6).
• It is living the kind of life that God wants us to live.
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE TEACH ABOUT OBEDIENCE?
Colossians 3:23: “Whatever you do, >> 1 << heartily, as for the >> 2 << and not for men.”
Ephesians 2:10: “For we are his [God’s] workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for >> 3 <<, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”
1 Corinthians 10:24: “Let no one >> 4 << his own >> 5 <<, but the good of his >> 6 <<.”
Romans 14:22 (NIV): “Blessed is the one who does not >> 7 << himself by what he >> 8 <<.”
Galatians 5:13 (NIV): “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your >> 9 << the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.”
1 Corinthians 6:12: “All things are >> 10 << for me,” but not all things are >> 11 <<. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be >> 12 << by anything.”
1 Corinthians 8:9: “But take care that this >> 13 << of yours does not somehow become a >> 14 << block to the weak.”1 Peter 2:16: “Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for >> 15 <<, but living as servants of God.”
When faced with a decision that will test your character and obedience, what should you do? The following questions will help you to examine your conduct.
- What would Jesus do? 1 Corinthians 11:1
- Would this be pleasing to God? Galatians 1:10
- Would this give others the opportunity to accuse me of wrongdoing? Philippians 2:15
- Would this be a good example to other Christians? 1 Timothy 4:12
- Does this show that I have more love for God? 1 John 2:15
- Would Jesus be pleased if He found me doing this when he returns? 1 John 2:28
Areas of life to be examined
- work, 2. Lord, 3. good deeds, 4. seek, 5. good, 6. neighbor, 7. condemn, 8. approves, 9. freedom to indulge in, 10. lawful, 11. helpful, 12. dominated, 13. deed, 14. stumbling, 15. evil